Where else to get Smalltalk advice
d***@gmail.com
2015-10-18 19:39:54 UTC
Is there a better place to be asking Smalltalk questions? This forum doesn't seem to get much action.
James Foster
2015-10-23 16:04:02 UTC
Many of the dialects have dedicated forums. For example, Pharo has a very active community (http://old.pharo-project.org/community).
Joachim
2015-10-25 10:16:58 UTC
Daniel,

as James mentioned, there are much more populated places for Smalltalk questions - this forum is kind of a ghost town since people moved from Usenet to cooler platforms (like it or not). This, unfortunately, also means the communities have no real place to discuss crosss-platform questions.

For cross-dialect or general Smalltalk questions, I guess StackOverflow is one of the best starting points. But there aren't too many Smalltalkers active there. If you want to use Pharo, try the Pharo-users mailing list (James linked to it), most other dialects have their own niche where they avoid to read much about others (please note the sarcastic bitterness in my words). While I know it's not true, our community sometimes looks as if we were mushrooms: we grow each in our own caves and try not to bother about others.

(so come out and prove me wrong guys ;-) )

Joachim
e***@gmail.com
2015-11-19 23:29:33 UTC
Here's are some quick stats from Stack Overflow on Smalltalk, and a comparison to Ruby and to JavaScript.

http://smalltalkinsmallsteps.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/mindshare-of-smalltalk-in-development.html

I've also started to publish a tutorial that deliberately attempts to cover as many Smalltalks as possible, and will be attempting to highlight facilities they have in common.

I want potential Smalltalkers to know that they can avoid Smalltalk-platform lock-in.

http://beginningtosmalltalk.blogspot.com/

ALthough the fact that I only had announced the post and the new blog in [Smalltalk-]platform specific mailing lists is indicative of something.

Cheers,
EuanM