32 bit squeak pharo and ram on free unix vs scalability
derr-fhurherr
2014-07-30 20:35:53 UTC
I was told gemstone glass free verison 2g ram = enoughspeed for most web apps until you get big traffic...

Now I work as unix admin and consultant for raisl and java shops for long time and 2g ram is like NOTHING for those (crap?) tek stacks...

Is smalltalk 10x faster or is more ram used?

I know linux pae lets 32bit apps access up to 64g of ram or so......

so is that the ram limit? for pharo and squeak????

Will squeak and pharo go 64bit? ( Are there already implementations of this? )

or does it being 32bit not matter, as many vms are spawned, one for each request? kind of like paul graham said he did for lisp in making viaweb?

Just trying to understand a little of how things work.
Richard Sargent
2014-07-31 00:30:32 UTC
Post by derr-fhurherr
Is smalltalk 10x faster or is more ram used?
The 2GB shared page cache speeds up access to frequently accessed objects (technically, the pages on which the objects are found).

The application Gems don't have a memory limitation (other than hardware and OS, of course).