Can you use Smalltalk for real (web-based) business? YES!
Richard Sargent
2014-07-29 16:01:29 UTC
I realized the article below was posted on the GLASS forum, not here. People are using Smalltalk in real web-based businesses.

http://forum.world.st/Glass-Welcome-norizzk-com-tp4760811.html
Richard Sargent
2014-07-29 16:05:26 UTC
Post by Richard Sargent
I realized the article below was posted on the GLASS forum, not here. People are using Smalltalk in real web-based businesses.
http://forum.world.st/Glass-Welcome-norizzk-com-tp4760811.html
Another one is Yesplan, event planning software.
http://yesplan.be/en/
derr-fhurherr
2014-07-30 20:02:24 UTC
awesome stuff

question: are these apps 32bit or 64? and is 32bit a 4g memory limit? or does pae etc let you use 64g ram?
Richard Sargent
2014-07-31 00:09:05 UTC
Post by derr-fhurherr
question: are these apps 32bit or 64? and is 32bit a 4g memory limit? or does pae etc let you use 64g ram?
They are almost certainly 64 bit applications, running on recent versions of GemStone/S.

I have no idea what "pae" is nor what "etc." means in its context. You should probably ask the people who provide it/them.
johannes falcone
2014-11-07 09:21:17 UTC
Post by Richard Sargent
Post by derr-fhurherr
question: are these apps 32bit or 64? and is 32bit a 4g memory limit? or does pae etc let you use 64g ram?
They are almost certainly 64 bit applications, running on recent versions of GemStone/S.
I have no idea what "pae" is nor what "etc." means in its context. You should probably ask the people who provide it/them.
I mean given a machine with 60 cpu and 2,000 gig ram, 36t raid10 disk

can pharo gemstone scale?

handle large concurrency?

I gather you want many pharo vm operating against 1 central glass store?

Is that like many php-fpm processes runing against 1 postgressql?
Richard Sargent
2014-11-07 19:42:32 UTC
Post by johannes falcone
Post by Richard Sargent
Post by derr-fhurherr
question: are these apps 32bit or 64? and is 32bit a 4g memory limit? or does pae etc let you use 64g ram?
They are almost certainly 64 bit applications, running on recent versions of GemStone/S.
I have no idea what "pae" is nor what "etc." means in its context. You should probably ask the people who provide it/them.
I mean given a machine with 60 cpu and 2,000 gig ram, 36t raid10 disk
can pharo gemstone scale?
handle large concurrency?
I gather you want many pharo vm operating against 1 central glass store?
Is that like many php-fpm processes runing against 1 postgressql?
Our largest customers are using some pretty amazing hardware. If you can afford that hardware, there's no reason GemStone cannot work on it. :-)